Screencastify, LLC (we, us, our) collects and uses information in order to operate Screencastify. This policy explains how we do this and applies to everyone who uses Screencastify or creates a Screencastify account (the “Services”).
- “School Representative” (i.e., an adult over the age of 18 who is a teacher or other representative of a school that subscribes to our Services and has administrative rights to provide access to Students (as defined below);
- “School” (i.e., an individual school, group of schools, entire school district or other local educational agency that subscribes to the Services and has administrative rights to provide access to the Services to individual Students and School Representatives);
- “Student” (i.e., any user of the Service who was invited to use the Services by a School or School Representative and who uses the Services solely for educational purposes as designated by the School or School Representative); or
- “User” (i.e., any user of the Services, including a School Representative).
Table of Contents
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Your Information?
- Who Do We Share Your Information With?
- Student Privacy Notice
- Videos Recorded with Screencastify
- Your Rights
- California Residents
- European Union Residents
- Retaining and Deleting Information
- Publishing to YouTube
- Changes to This Policy
- Contact Information
Information we collect from you:
- Email address and other Google account profile information, which is collected when you connect your Google account to Screencastify. Note that all information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Chrome Web Store User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
- Business contact information from School Representatives.
- General account profile information, including your broad occupation category (e.g. educator, business user, Student).
- Information you choose to share with us, for example in an email, website form, support ticket, social media, or survey responses.
- For Schools that utilize watch page features, we may collect additional usage data from their Students to indicate the amount of interaction with particular videos created by School Representatives depending on the options selected by Schools or School Representatives.
- Billing and payment information from Schools and other paid Users, which is stored in Chargebee’s PCI-DSS Level 1 compliant database. For more information about Chargebee’s security measures, click here.
- Information we collect automatically: We and our third party service providers, including analytics providers such as Google Analytics may automatically collect certain information when you visit our site or use our Services. This may include:
- Some technical information about how you use Screencastify, for example the type of device you are using, your operating system, IP address, and length of session.
- Basic application usage data, including a timestamped log of videos created and length of videos recorded.
- Information about what pages you view within our site, how you arrived at our site and some basic information about your computer or device. We do not track the content you record nor any non-Screencastify web traffic. The information we collect from analytics helps us understand what parts of our sites are doing well, and which need changing. Like most websites, we use this information to improve our customer experience. Please see here how Google uses data. You can also opt out if you wish.
We strive to collect the minimum amount of data required to operate Screencastify and provide our services.
We use your information only for the following purposes:
- providing Screencastify Services and making sure you can use it properly;
- managing and administering your account;
- responding to any questions, comments or complaints we receive from you;
- communicating with you about Screencastify for account-related or promotional purposes;
- investigating potentially illegal activities on Screencastify;
- analyzing usage of Screencastify;
- improving Screencastify;
- as required to comply with applicable laws;
- For other purposes with your permission.
We will never use your information for targeted advertising. We do not build a personal profile of you other than for supporting authorized educational or school purposes, or as authorized by you.
If you are a School or School Representative we will work with you as far as we are legally able to accommodate your directions regarding our treatment of personal data belonging to your Students and ensuring that you maintain control of such Student information as may be required by applicable law, including FERPA.
This includes adhering to a School’s requests after Screencastify is no longer in use by a School or School Representative or after this policy is terminated or expires in relation to transfers of students’ personal data, deleting students’ personal data and making sure that any third parties that work in connection with Screencastify do the same, in each case subject to our legal requirements regarding the use, storage and transfer of such data.
We never rent, sell or license your information.
We don’t share your information except:
- with third party service providers, such as hosting providers or an email service, so that they can provide services to us. In cases where we share student personal data with these third parties, they will be notified and be obligated to comply with the commitments in this policy. We maintain a list of these third party service providers.
- if we have a legal obligation to disclose the information or it is necessary in order for us to protect our rights (for example, if a court orders us to as part of a lawsuit).
- We may share de-identified information or aggregate level information about the use of our Services for any purpose, provided that such information will not be capable of re-identification or association with a particular individual.
- if another company buys or invests in our company, or if we go insolvent, or if we merge with another company, in which case the company that receives your information will protect the information in the same way we do.
Additionally, Screencastify has taken and upholds the Student Privacy Pledge per the terms consistent on studentprivacypledge.org.
We use security and technology measures consistent with industry standards to try to protect your information and make sure that it is not lost, damaged or accessed by anyone who should not see it. Your data is stored in Google Cloud in the United States. To learn more about Google Cloud’s security measures, please visit https://cloud.google.com/security. Despite our security measures, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
In the unlikely event of an unauthorized disclosure of your data we will notify you (either directly or through your School or School Representative) in accordance with our legal or contractual requirements.
If you use some features (like video editing) with recordings stored on Google Drive, we may transfer and process these recordings on remote systems as required to deliver or to speed up the respective feature. We delete any recordings from remote systems immediately after they have been processed.
For Schools that utilize certain features, including the watch page, Screencastify may host videos created by your authorized users for defined periods of time, but you will still have the ability to redundantly store your videos on other third party services.
You may opt-out of receiving certain email communication with us by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in the email. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you transactional emails related to your account or account maintenance.
You can ask us for a copy of your personal information, which we will send to you as soon as possible (but within 45 days, if possible). We may require you to provide verification of your identity before providing a copy of the information we hold.
You can also ask us to correct any information we hold about you that is inaccurate. If you would like us to send you a copy of your information or correct your information, please email us at email@example.com.
You can also ask us to delete your account and all the associated personal data held by Screencastify by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may not able to remotely delete videos created with Screencastify that are not hosted by Screencastify, as these are fully under the user’s control.
If you are a School, you may request to review your students’ information, have it deleted, and refuse further data collection by emailing us at email@example.com. If further data collection is stopped, those individuals may no longer be able to use Screencastify.
California law grants additional privacy rights to California residents. In particular, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) requires businesses to disclose, for the past 12 months, (i) the categories of personal information collected, (ii) the sources of the collected personal information, (iii) the purposes for which the collected personal information is used, (iv) the categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose, and (v) the categories of any personal information sold. Screencastify provides these disclosures in the following table. (Note that Screencastify does not sell any personal information, even under the broad CCPA definition of a “sale.”)
Personal Information Data Collection
|Identifiers||Website visits and customer applications||For customer registration, to enable Screencastify’s services and to allow Screencastify to communicate with you||To service providers for the purpose of providing services to you or on Screencastify’s behalf|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Application usage data; technical information; and your browsing and search history on our website||To improve our services, to provide metrics to Schools and to improve the visitor experience on our website, diagnose server problems and administer our website||To analytical companies and marketing specialist companies for the purpose of enhancing our services and our website and improving the effectiveness of our communications|
|Audio and Visual Information||User-generated content||To provide our primary service offering||To service providers for the purpose of providing services to you or on Screencastify’s behalf|
California residents also have the rights described below. We will not discriminate against any California resident who exercises these rights.
Right to access/know. You may request from us a list of (i) the personal information that we have collected about you, and (ii) the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information. You have the right to up to two (2) access requests each twelve (12) months.
Right to delete your personal information. You may request, at any time, that we delete your personal information.
You may contact us to exercise these rights by sending a request from the email address associated with your Screencastify account or with other information sufficient to locate your account to firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure the privacy and protection of individuals, we are required to verify your identity or otherwise authenticate your request(s). Please note that, under the CCPA, we are not required to grant a request to access/know or a request to delete with respect to personal information obtained from you in your role as an employee, owner, director, officer or contractor of a company and within the context of Screencastify providing its services to such company.
If you are a resident of the European Union, you have certain additional rights with respect to your personal information under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (the “GDPR”), including the following:
- The right of access to your personal information.
- The right to rectify your personal information if it is incorrect or incomplete.
- The right to have your personal information erased (“right to be forgotten”) if certain grounds are met.
- The right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information at any time (if our processing is based on consent).
- The right to object to our processing of your personal information (if processing is based on legitimate interests).
- The right to object to our processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- The right to receive your personal information from us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to transmit your personal information to another controller without hindrance from us (data portability).
If you are located in the European Union and you are or have been a Screencastify customer, we may send you marketing communications based on our legitimate interests, subject always to your right to opt out of such communications. Further, if you are located in the European Union, we will never share your personal information with a third party for such third party’s marketing purposes, unless you have specifically consented to us doing so.
You may contact us at email@example.com to exercise any of the above rights. We may request specific information from you to confirm your identity, and in some circumstances we may charge a reasonable fee for access to your personal information. Furthermore, if you believe that our processing of your personal information is inconsistent with your data protection rights under the GDPR and we have not adequately addressed your concerns, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection supervisory authority of your country.
We don’t retain your information for longer than we need to for the purposes listed in this policy. We may delete certain personal and usage data if you haven’t used your account for more than 2 years. We will never delete any videos created with Screencastify.
In order to provide this feature, we access and store certain user information from YouTube (hereby referred to as "YouTube Data"), including your channel name(s), channel ID, channel thumbnail URL, and uploaded video URL.
YouTube Data is stored on the Google Cloud infrastructure. We do not share your YouTube Data with any other third parties, and restrict internal access to this data to key employees who maintain our technical operations.
You may disconnect your YouTube channel(s) at any time from the "Publish to YouTube" section of our application. When you do so, we permanently delete all of your YouTube Data. Additionally, you may revoke Screencastify's access to your YouTube Data via your Google security settings page.
Upon installing our application, all non-student users over the age of 13 agree to receive account-related and marketing emails including relevant Screencastify information like new feature releases, product tutorials, customer success stories, and community-related features. You may opt-out of marketing communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any email received, or by providing us notice to the contact information listed here.
We are not responsible for users who identify themselves incorrectly (e.g. students who declare that they are corporate users), though as noted above we are able to change any user’s incorrect information upon request.
We will notify schools in advance of material changes to this policy.
Should you have any question about this policy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at (708) 971-0794 or write us at:
Screencastify, LLC 222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza Suite 1212 Chicago, IL 60654
US customers may also contact the iKeepSafe COPPA Safe Harbor program directly at COPPAPrivacy@ikeepsafe.org.