● "Organization Representative” (i.e., an adult over the age of 18 who is a representative of a company, school or other organization that subscribes to our Services and has administrative rights to provide access to other users (“Authorized Users”), which may include Students (as defined below);
● “Organization” (i.e., a business entity, school, group of schools, school district or other local educational agency that subscribes to the Services and has administrative rights to provide access to the Services to individual Users, Students and Organization Representatives);
● “Student” (i.e., any user of the Service who was invited to use the Services by an Organization or Organizational Representative that is a school, school district or local educational agency and who uses the Services solely for educational purposes as designated by such Organization or Organizational Representative); or
● “User” (i.e., any user of the Services, including an Organization Representative).
What Information Do We Collect?
Information you provide to us:
● Account Information: To create a Screencastify account, you must provide basic registration details such as name and email address, along with a broad occupational profile (e.g., educator, business, student, etc.). This may be collected via single sign on providers such as Google. Note that all information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Chrome Web Store User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
● Billing and Payment Information. If you have a paid Screencastify subscription, we may collect credit card and other information required to process a payment transaction (such as address). Any payment information we collect is stored in Chargebee’s PCI-DSS Level 1 compliant database. For more information about Chargebee’s security measures, click here.
● User-generated content: We collect and store content (i.e., videos) you create using the Screencastify platform, which is subject to our Terms of Service.
● General Customer Interaction: We may collect additional information you choose to share with us as a result of general customer interaction such as in an email, website form, support ticket, social media, or survey response
Information we Collect Automatically:
● Usage Data: We collect usage data from Users to indicate the amount and type of interaction with our Services, for example, we may capture the number of views of particular videos created and shared on the Screencastify platform, which may include IP address and type of device you are using.
Information we obtain from third parties:
· Marketing Information. We may obtain data from third parties about you. We may combine that data with information that we have collected. For example, some advertisers or advertising platforms may allow us to determine what other online services you might use so that we may improve your experience with our Services or inform you of Services you might find useful. Please note that we do not obtain such third-party data related to Student Users.
We use your information only for the following purposes:
● providing our Services and making sure you can use them properly;
● promoting our Services in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. See below for further information about how to unsubscribe from our marketing emails.
● managing and administering your account;
● responding to any questions, comments or complaints we receive from you;
● communicating with you about our Services for account-related or promotional purposes;
● investigating potentially illegal activities on Screencastify;
● analyzing usage of Screencastify;
● improving our Services;
● as required to comply with applicable laws;
● For other purposes with your permission.
We never rent, sell or license your information.
We only share your information for the following purposes:
● if we have a legal obligation to disclose the information or it is necessary in order for us to protect our rights (for example, if a court orders us to as part of a lawsuit).
● We may share de-identified information or aggregate level information about the use of our Services for any purpose, provided that such information will not be capable of re-identification or association with a particular individual.
● if another company buys or invests in our company, or if we go insolvent, or if we merge with another company, in which case the company that receives your information will protect the information in the same way we do.
If your Organization is school or school district, we will work with you as far as we are legally able to accommodate your directions regarding our treatment of personal data belonging to your Students and ensuring that you maintain control of such Student information as may be required by applicable law, including FERPA, provided however, that our ability to do this may be limited by the type of services plan held by the applicable School.
This includes adhering to a school district’s requests after Screencastify is no longer in use by such Organization or after this policy is terminated or expires in relation to transfers of students’ personal data, deleting students’ personal data and making sure that any third parties that work in connection with Screencastify do the same, in each case subject to our legal requirements regarding the use, storage and transfer of such data.
Finally, Screencastify has taken and upholds the Student Privacy Pledge per the terms consistent on studentprivacypledge.org.
We use security and technology measures consistent with industry standards to try to protect your information and make sure that it is not lost, damaged or accessed by anyone who should not see it. Your data is stored in Google Cloud in the United States. To learn more about Google Cloud’s security measures, please visit https://cloud.google.com/security. Despite our security measures, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
In the unlikely event of an unauthorized disclosure of your data we will notify you (either directly or through your School or School Representative) in accordance with our legal or contractual requirements.
Email Communication. You may opt-out of receiving certain email communication with us by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in the email. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you transactional emails related to your account or account maintenance.
Request a Copy of your Personal Information. You can ask us for a copy of your personal information, which we will send to you as soon as possible (but within 45 days, if possible). We may require you to provide verification of your identity before providing a copy of the information we hold.
Request Correction of your Personal Information. You can also ask us to correct any information we hold about you that is inaccurate. If you would like us to send you a copy of your information or correct your information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deletion Requests. You can also ask us to delete your account and all the associated personal data held by Screencastify by emailing us at email@example.com. We may not able to remotely delete videos created with Screencastify that are not hosted by Screencastify, as these are fully under the user’s control.
School/School District Specific Rights. If your Organization is a school or school district, you may request to review your students’ information, have it deleted, and refuse further data collection by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If further data collection is stopped, those individuals may no longer be able to use our Services.
California law grants additional privacy rights to California residents. In particular, businesses must disclose, for the past 12 months, (i) the categories of personal information collected, (ii) the sources of the collected personal information, (iii) the purposes for which the collected personal information is used, (iv) the categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose, and (v) the categories of any personal information sold. Screencastify provides these disclosures in the following table. (Note that Screencastify does not sell any personal information)
To the extent required by California law, below is a summary of the categories of information we collect about you and how it is disclosed.
California residents also have the rights described below. We will not discriminate against any California resident who exercises these rights.
Right to access/know. You may request from us a list of (i) the personal information that we have collected about you, and (ii) the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information. You have the right to up to two (2) access requests each twelve (12) months.
Right to delete your personal information. You may request, at any time, that we delete your personal information.
You may contact us to exercise these rights by sending a request from the email address associated with your Screencastify account or with other information sufficient to locate your account to email@example.com. To ensure the privacy and protection of individuals, we are required to verify your identity or otherwise authenticate your request(s).
If you are located in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom (UK), or Switzerland, you have certain additional rights with respect to your personal information under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (the “GDPR”), and this section applies to you:
Legal Basis for Processing. When we process your information we do so in reliance on the following legal bases: (i) to provide you with our services and otherwise perform contractual commitments to you, (ii) when we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information to operate our business or protect our interests (for example, communicating with you, improving our products or conducting data analytics), (iii) to comply with our legal obligations, and (iv) when we have your consent to do so, provided that you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Right to Withdraw Consent. In the event you provide your consent for us to process your personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing. Screencastify does not process personal data for the purpose of marketing without first obtaining your express, opt-in consent or having a legitimate interest for doing so. You have the right to object to the processing of personal data for marketing purposes at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
Special Category Personal Data. “Special Category Data” is any data that reveals your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, moral or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, political views, the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of identifying a person, and data concerning health or a person’s sex life and/or sexual orientation. The data Screencastify collects and processes does not qualify as Special Category Data, and Screencastify does not intend to collect any Special Category from you. Please refrain from sending us any Special Category Data.
Automated Decision Making. Screencastify does not make any automated decisions on your behalf or about you without first obtaining your express, opt-in consent. In the event we secure your consent to do so, you have the right to object to the processing of personal data via automated decision making at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer to Third Parties and Countries. Personal data that we collect or receive may be transferred to and/or processed by third parties that are located outside of the EU, EEA, UK, or Switzerland, some of which authorities in those regions may not consider to have an adequate level of protection for personal data. Screencastify will only transfer data subject's personal data to third-parties located outside of the EU, EEA, UK, or Switzerland when it has ensured appropriate safeguards for such personal data through use of the standard contractual clauses or other approved methods. Screencastify offers European Union model clauses (“Model Clauses”) also know as Standard Contractual Clauses to meet the adequacy and security requirements for customers that operate in the EEA, UK or Switzerland and for other international data transfers as relevant. A copy of our standard data processing addendum incorporating the Model Clauses is available here for customers to sign and append to their Screencastify services agreement as necessary.
Data Retention. See the section below entitled Retaining and Deleting Information.
Data Subject Requests. Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request access to the personal information we hold about you and to receive your data in a portable format, the right to request that your personal information be corrected or deleted, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please email email@example.com.
Questions or Complaints. If you have a concern about our processing of your personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact information for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA
For individuals in the UK
For individuals in Switzerland
Users under 16 years of age. We do not knowingly collect information from users under 16 years of age unless you are a Student using Screencastify at the direction of your School in which case we are processing your information solely at the direction of your School and for school purposes.
We don’t retain your information for longer than we need to for the purposes listed in this policy. We may delete certain personal and usage data if you haven’t used your account for more than 2 years.
In order to provide this feature, we access and store certain user information from YouTube (hereby referred to as "YouTube Data"), including your channel name(s), channel ID, channel thumbnail URL, and uploaded video URL.
YouTube Data is stored on the Google Cloud infrastructure. We do not share your YouTube Data with any other third parties, and restrict internal access to this data to key employees who maintain our technical operations.
You may disconnect your YouTube channel(s) at any time from the "Publish to YouTube" section of our application. When you do so, we permanently delete all of your YouTube Data. Additionally, you may revoke Screencastify's access to your YouTube Data via your Google security settings page.
Upon installing our application, all non-student users agree to receive account-related and marketing emails including relevant Screencastify information like new feature releases, product tutorials, customer success stories, and community-related features. You may opt-out of marketing communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any email received, or by providing us notice to the contact information listed here.
We are not responsible for users who identify themselves incorrectly (e.g. students who declare that they are corporate users), though as noted above we are able to change any user’s incorrect information upon request.Changes to This Policy
We will notify schools in advance of material changes to this policy
Should you have any question about this policy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at:
Screencastify, LLC 333 N. Green St., Suite 810, Chicago, IL 60607
As Screencastify is certified by iKeepSafe’s COPPA safe harbor program, US customers may also contact iKeepSafe directly at COPPAPrivacy@ikeepsafe.org