If you’ve been able to keep up with your students, you may know about Snapchat. The kids have probably moved on to TikTok, or whatever new thing that is actually cool we haven’t heard of yet.
Fun Snap lens effects can be used on laptop/desktop computers too, and they can add some fun and whimsy to your Screencastify recordings.
With a little downloading, and a few clicks, the following effects and more are at your disposal:
Take a trip on a virtual Safari
And Oh My, what a smart-looking hat!
Let your natural sparkling personality truly shine
Would I lie to you?
Let some fine fruit be your substitute
Fractions? I love ‘em, I’m great in a split-situation.
A little silliness has some practical benefits:
- Makes class time fun and enjoyable
- Makes you seem more approachable and less intimidating
- Help students recall specific portions of your lesson (“Oh, I remember, the Banana said _”)
Okay, you’re sold, but how do you actually turn yourself into a banana?
- Download Snap Camera: https://snapcamera.snapchat.com/download/
- Follow Snap Camera’s installation process for your operating system
- Find some fun lenses, some of my favorites include "Potato", "Banana", and "COSMIC CAT"
- Choose the Snapchat Camera in Screencastify:
Now any Snapchat effects you select will be piped through to the screencastify recorder. If you need to absolutely make sure your next recording stays strictly professional, you can switch back to your normal camera with the same menu picker.
Snap camera lets you bookmark your favorite filters so you can find them quickly. Click the little star next to your favorites to quickly find them again.