Over the past couple of months, the world has developed a new perspective on the power of video-based learning. We have seen an exponential increase in our products' usage and engagement, and our already-sky-high ambitions are now even higher. To achieve those ambitions, we need extraordinarily talented people like you. So we've accelerated our hiring plans across all departments.
While we'd love to meet you in person (and look forward to doing so one day soon!), we are prepared to conduct our entire interviewing and onboarding processes remotely.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions!
Imagine a product that reached millions of users without a single salesperson. That same product has been adopted by tens of thousands of schools, with limitless growth potential ahead. That's the opportunity at Screencastify — a massive market, incredibly engaged customer/fan base, and the chance to get in on the ground floor of it all.
Hi, we're Screencastify 👋
More than 12 million people use Screencastify every week (!!!) to record, edit and share all sorts of amazing videos. We like to think that we've democratized video creation by making it simpler and more affordable than ever before.
In K-12 classrooms around the world, teachers and students are using Screencastify to create instructional videos, record presentations, give better feedback, and much much more. Our free version is used in more than 70% of US school districts.
Life at Screencastify
Our small Chicago-based team includes a semi-pro volleyball player, champion debater, classically trained actor, elite runner, breakdancer, and avid baker 🍰
About the role
Screencastify is rapidly growing. As we get bigger, the stakes get higher and things get more complex. In order to support this growth and ensure it happens smoothly and safely, we're looking for our first in-house legal hire. You'll provide guidance and input from everything from data security to employment to corporate governance, and will be a trusted voice for many critical decisions.
Why is this role special?
- Build our legal ops from scratch. You'll be our first in-house legal hire, so you'll have instrumental impact on every business decision that has a legal component or consequence.
- Work with an extremely talented, and collaborative team. A team of less than 5 built a product used by millions of people. We've achieved more than teams 10x our size by solving important problems collaboratively and putting quality above all else.
- Our work has a meaningful impact. Our product is a growing presence in k-12 classrooms. When we do well, we have a direct positive impact on the learning and development of the students in those classrooms. It’s a good feeling.
- Join us at a magical time. We're profitable and support tens of millions of users with a small team, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'll join at the perfect time to shape how we grow from here.
What you'll do
As the first in-house legal hire, you will define the legal strategy and build our core legal processes including
- How we treat and maintain data and privacy
- Risk and risk management
- Contract negotiations
- Template creation and maintenance
- All aspects of Intellectual Property, procurement, labor & employment, corporate issues, etc.
- Provide counsel and advise the CEO and the Board on legal liabilities associated with many areas of the business
- Actively collaborate with other leaders at the company to keep them abreast of changes in processes, laws, and regulations that impact the business
- Evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions and anticipate new issues in developing areas of the law that could impact the company
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Are a practicing attorney with 6+ years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department. In-house counsel experience with a subscription-based technology company would be a major plus.
- Are IAPP certified (highly preferred)
- Have broad experience with a variety of legal matters, including strategic business agreements, commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, privacy (COPPA, FERPA, GDPR, etc), corporate governance, intellectual property rights, and international expansion
- Have a strong bias towards action that finds the win/win among parties
- Are comfortable with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks
- Can clearly explain legal issues to business and technology-focused partners and develop practical solutions
- Have a JD and membership in good standing with at least one state bar, and ability to practice law in Illinois
- Competitive compensation. We take a data-driven approach to our compensation strategy so all employees are paid competitively and equitably.
- 401k plan. We want to invest in present you and future you, which is why we offer a generous 401k match with our 401k plan.
- Minimum vacation policy. We recognize the importance of taking personal time off, and require our employees to take at least 15 vacation days per year. You’re also encouraged to take additional paid time off, as needed.
- Parental leave. Generous paid time off for parents to bond with the newest addition to their family!
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 100% of employee medical premiums and 50% of employee dental & vision premiums. Plus, all employees receive a free One Medical membership.
- Flexible work policy. Gone are the days of being in an office from 9-5, Monday through Friday. We recognize there are better ways to measure productivity than counting the number of hours you’re in the office and that sometimes the office isn’t the best place to be productive.
- Professional development. Each department has a professional development budget and employees are encouraged to take workshops, attend webinars, join associations, and anything else that could help grow their careers. Did we also mention employees get free access to Udemy for Business?
- Divvy bike membership. If you’re in Chicago, take advantage of an annual Divvy membership -- on us.
We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. You do not need to fit this exact mold.
At Screencastify, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world through video.
Screencastify is an equal opportunity employer.