Over the past couple of months, the world has developed a new perspective on the power of video-based learning. We have seen an exponential increase in our products' usage and engagement, and our already-sky-high ambitions are now even higher. To achieve those ambitions, we need extraordinarily talented people like you. So we've accelerated our hiring plans across all departments.
While we'd love to meet you in person (and look forward to doing so one day soon!), we are prepared to conduct our entire interviewing and onboarding processes remotely.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions!
Imagine a product that reached millions of users without a single salesperson. That same product has been adopted by tens of thousands of schools, with limitless growth potential ahead. That's the opportunity at Screencastify — a massive market, incredibly engaged customer/fan base, and the chance to get in on the ground floor of it all.
Hi, we're Screencastify 👋
More than 12 million people use Screencastify every week (!!!) to record, edit and share all sorts of amazing videos. We like to think that we've democratized video creation by making it simpler and more affordable than ever before.
In K-12 classrooms around the world, teachers and students are using Screencastify to create instructional videos, record presentations, give better feedback, and much much more. Our free version is used in more than 70% of US school districts.
Life at Screencastify
Our small Chicago-based team includes a semi-pro volleyball player, champion debater, classically trained actor, elite runner, breakdancer, and avid baker 🍰
About the role
We built the simplest and most reliable screen recorder and browser-based video editor in the world, but that’s only the beginning. Our near future is full of ambitious new goals, features, and products that will enable us to further improve how we provide service to our users and accelerate our already fast growth.
We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality, while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the kind of delightful interactions we’re known for. We’re looking for an experienced, compassionate, and thoughtful engineer to build effective tools for video in the classroom.
Why is this role special?
- Solve “impossible” problems. While they are ever more and more capable, non-linear editing isn’t a feature web browsers were built to support. Our users use a wide range of devices, including Chromebooks.
- Work with an extremely talented and collaborative team. A team of less than 5 built a product used by millions of people. We've achieved more than teams 10x our size by solving important problems collaboratively and putting product quality above all else.
- Our work has a meaningful impact. Our product is a growing presence in K-12 classrooms. When we do well, we have a direct positive impact on the learning and development of the students in those classrooms. It’s a good feeling.
- Join us at a magical time. We're profitable and support tens of millions of users with a small team, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'll join at the perfect time to shape how we grow from here.
What you’ll do:
- Build programs and systems that support in-browser video editing.
- Work with and build in-depth knowledge of video file formats, codecs, and processing at scale
- Use cutting-edge technology and standards to build scalable video processing, composition and editing tools.
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Have 2-4+ years experience in full-stack or back-end web application engineering
- Have familiarity with Node.js, Angular, React, or similar
- Have experience with Kubernetes or other cloud orchestration tools
- Can readily learn most technologies as you go
- Care about the business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff - you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Love the challenges, hours, and ups-and-downs of startup life
- Are flexible, dedicated, and curious
- Competitive compensation package
- Flexible WFH policy
- Generous health / vision / dental insurance contributions
- One Medical membership
- Unlimited PTO
We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. You do not need to fit this exact mold.
At Screencastify, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world through video.
Screencastify is an equal opportunity employer.